Day 1:26.11 .08

On November 26, 2008 after long and mind numbing logistics work, for example the construction of the different stations required, we finally began the examinations. The stations were: Three blood taking and two blood pressure measuring stations, a measuring station for belly and waist as well as weight, one for size measurement and one for ultrasounds. In the case of the taking the blood samples and with the ultrasounds professional doctors and medical students from the hospital in Obendorf did the work.

Assisting and working on the remaining stations were students from our project group who had been instructed by the professionals. Naturally all were very excited: Would we complete all the examinations within our time slot? Would enough students be examined? Would the results be usable? Could we guarantee that every pupil visited all stations? All these questions ran through our heads, but all we could do was wait.

At 7 o'clock the first group of our schoolmates came into the festival room, where we were performing the tests, fully prepared with empty stomachs and filled out questionnaires. First we took the questionnaire from them and pasted a bar code to it, to maintain anonymity. The bar codes stickers were accompanied by matching cards, on which the students recorded the results from the different stations. The card was stamped at each completed station, in order to make sure that the students didn't repeat or skip stations.
Further three codes were given to the pupils: two for the blood tests and one for every examined student themselves, so that their examination results

later could be viewed alone and in private. Now all the participants swarmed into the stations and let themselves be thoroughly examined.

On the card the exact results of the measurements were noted. After the examined student had visited all the stations and the card had been filled out and given to us, they received a coupon for a completely healthy breakfast in the cafeteria. To our surprise we were on schedule the first day - despite the high participant ratio - our stamp system with the cards functioned perfectly, although it had been one of our largest concerns. This quickness was also good for our schoolmates, because some were nevertheless hungry after the tests and lack of breakfasts. Altogether we examined 104 students from four classes on the first day.

At the conclusion of this investigation day we were allowed to experiment with the ultrasound device under the guidance of Dr. Elmar Aigner. One of group courageously volunteered to be examined by the rest of us, letting us look at her important organs like her lungs, heart, liver, and kidneys.

Day 2:27.11 .08

With improved time management, we started the second day of data collection. Today our program consisted of four more classes. The investigations ran without incident. And for most of the students the whole process was completed like routine. Small problems, like for example shaking knees of sensitive pupils when their blood was taken, were solved.

Moral was high for our team, because the success of the day before had aroused the interest

of the ORF (local news) at 9 o'clock the arrival of the journalism team was announced. Equipped with a camera they filmed all our stations and interviewed Hanna.

The report was aired that evening on the evening news program „Salzburg Today„. Because interest in our project had spread so much, some of the teachers participated on the second day.

Day 3:28.11 .08

On this day our team - as well as the remaining classes - was to be examined. By this time we had the process all worked out and the routine ran smoothly. After the last class was sent to breakfast we had the examination room to ourselves. Afterwards the healthy and special organic breakfast awaited us. The highlight of this day was however a small practical training in blood taking. Naturally everything was explained in detail before we began, and were closely observed by the doctors the whole time.

Lastly, we matched the questionnaires and cards by their bar codes and sorted them by class.

(Finally we can say that we were very happy with the three days of examinations, and glad that they were over. Here we would like to thank the pupils of our school for their participation as well as Dr. Elmar Aigner and their team.)